Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Figmas! Figmas! Figmas! Oh my!

This entry contains images I stole from Hobby Search (http://www.1999.co.jp).

And today I want to talk about Figmas.

Suzumiya Haruhi in Figma form!

In essence when I start collections I like those items to have a lot of 'play value.' And what I mean by that is simple, it just needs to have a lot of accessories that I can play with! I'm all about getting the best bang for my buck. For this I've turned to Figmas. Yes, I understand that one of the biggest complaints from fans about Figmas are that the joints don't look good, but you know what? I don't mind that at all. Personally, I find that being able to pose your figures and freely equipping them with a plethora of accessories (including alternate faces) is a damn good trade off for not-perfect limbs. Not to mention that Figmas tend to be far cheaper and easier to get than most other figures.

Basic Figma box, this one featuring Mari from the new Evangelion movies.

And here's what she looks like out of the box.

I have a very small collection namely due to a lack of funds. Currently I have the following: Tohsaka Rin (#11), Nagato Yuki (#15), Asahina Mikuru (#33, though I should have waited for the #36 battle maid version), Suzumiya Haruhi (#34), Tsuruya (#37), Saber (#50), Dark Saber (#72), and Love Machine (#83). So yeah, I don't have that many, but it's a fine collection that I'm quite proud of nonetheless! Most of my shelf space is dedicated to all the Gundam model kits I've completed, which I'm sure I'll post about later.

For those wanting to get into figure collecting but are unsure of what to expect, I would highly recommend Max Factory's Figma line (which you can check out here). Sure most are moe characters, but I suspect that most would-be collectors are after that sort of thing. Another fine point to bring up is that collecting figures is much much cheaper when you buy Figma. Man, this is starting to sound like a viral marketing scheme for Max Factory, but seriously just hear me out.

Yes, male Figmas exist, but they tend to be rare and expensive.

For example: Lelouch here is worth around $150 to $200.

Most Figmas (minus the rare Figmas, often times these are also the male ones) will run you an average of $30-$60 each (rare Figmas tend to be around $80-$150). Most statues that look very nice (and I mean VERY VERY nice) often start at around $80 with a majority being in the $150-$300 range. That's a pretty steep price for a figure that you most likely can't pose yourself, change out the faces, or even get to hold different accessories. Sure some have those options, but I find that Figmas tend to allow for a larger range of freedom. Also, all Figmas are scaled the same so any accessories that one Figma comes with can be used by other Figmas, including most faces. Basically, this lead me to buy Figmas exclusively.

Below is a more detailed look at a Figma, namely the beautfiul KOS-MOS ver. 4. I included the box, a number of poses/accessory combo pics, and a zoom in on the plastic wrappings. Images from Hobby-Search.







 For an even more images or if you want to buy the product check out this link.

Bottom line being this: if you want to start collecting anime figures but don't have the money for it, try out Figmas. Hell, if you've already been collecting figures go out and buy a Figma today just to see if it's the right fit for your collection. Max Factory also tends to release a lot of characters from the same series to make completing a set all the more stratifying. FIGMAS. DO IT NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment